Safaris in Rwanda
Rwanda is a small landlocked country that any guest looking for a typical African safari with wildlife can visit and this safaris in Rwanda information is all you need. The Rwanda wildlife safari can be blended with visits to other national parks in the Rwanda for a period of 10 days. It is possible to visit all the four national parks of Rwanda in a period of 10 days. The Rwanda wildlife safaris are done in 4 wheel drive safari vehicles with a trained ranger guide/tour guide who is very knowledgeable about the area.
Easily traversed, Rwanda is one of Africa’s most thrilling destinations – promising unique wildlife encounters, stunning landscapes, and warm, proud people. A land of astonishing beauty, Rwanda has risen phoenix-like from its troubled history.
Tourism in Rwanda is well developed with several luxury lodges in the game parks. The country has gone to great lengths to market her tourism resources. However, most visitors on a safari in Rwanda are attracted by the possibility of seeing mountain gorillas found in the Volcanoes national park. The park was made famous by research efforts culminating into the famous drama “Gorillas in the Mist”. The park itself is an expanse of remarkable green vegetation swarming with birds, butterflies, primates and other mammals. Gorilla trekking can also be done in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, but it is the quality of service and the proximity of the park to the capital Kigali that make visitors opt for safaris in Rwanda.
From stealing magic moments with mountain-dwelling gorillas to experiencing heart-warming encounters with villagers, Rwanda will deliver African travel experiences unlike any other. Universal Ventures Rwanda will help you plan vacations in Rwanda, choose among our safari adventure tours that gives you an opportunity to book for gorilla trekking Rwanda tours, boat trips in Akagera and Lake Kivu, chimpanzee tracking tours and other African vacations you will find in Rwanda and the East Africa region.
Destinations for safaris in Rwanda
Safaris in Rwanda National Parks
- Volcanoes National Park: The park is located within the Virunga mountain ranges and is home to about 800 mountain gorillas and 12 habituated gorilla families. The park is characterised by thick forest and mountainous terrain that can make gorilla tracking in Rwanda strenuous but adventurous. Since Dian Fossy pitched camp in the Volcanoes national park, the country became a leader in global mountain gorilla conservation and research efforts – Visitors can arrange to see Dian Fossey’s former research station and grave. Whereas mountain gorilla tracking is the main activity in the volcanoes national park, visitors can also spot forest elephants, forest hogs, golden monkeys, buffalo, birds, and several species of butterfly during their Rwanda Wildlife tour. The park has several volcanoes and mountains that are suitable for hiking like Bisoke, Sabyinyo and Karisimbi. Combining a gorilla safari in Rwanda with hiking one of the mountains is tiring but worth pursuing for the adventurous type.
Contact us to book for a gorilla safari in the Volcanoes National Park or choose among these 1 day gorilla trekking in Rwanda, 2 days gorilla trekking safari adventure of more than 2 days gorilla trekking tour packages.
- Akagera National Park: Akagera national park is the best place to go for a safari in Rwanda. The park is located in the Eastern part of the country and covers over 1000 square kilometres of savanna similar to those found in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. The park is close to Kigali and is home to a large collection of Africa’s mammals that gather at its numerous water points like the Akagera River and Lake Shakani. The most popular activity in Akagera National Park is to take a game drive to spot hyenas, jackals, antelopes, giraffe, baboons, zebras, buffalos, leopards and elephants among others. Lions and black rhinos are being introduced in the park so that visitors can have a full package of Africa’s big five. Bird watchers should expect to Spot over 500 species while on a 3 Days wildlife safari in Akagera including the shoebill Storks.
- Nyungwe Forest National Park: Nyungwe forest National Park is one of the most attractive destinations while on a Rwanda wildlife tour. Nyungwe forest is a vast tropical forest with over 1000 plant species and is a good reflection of Rwanda’s exciting biodiversity. After tracking mountain gorillas, the forest is the best place to track chimpanzees while on a Rwanda tour. There are over 240 species of birds found in the forest making it a birders paradise. Apart from chimpanzee trekking and birding, visitors should expect to spot baboons, golden monkeys, colobus monkeys, blue monkeys and other primates. A Nyungwe forest canopy walk is a must for bird lovers and those who have come to track chimpanzees in Rwanda. Book for 3 days tour in nyungwe, 5 days canopy and primate tracking tour of choose among other safaris in Rwanda packages here.
- Mukura-Gishwati Forest National Park: The Gishwati Forest is one of the most visited tourism sites in Rwanda and covers over 250,000 acres of land. The forest presents a great view of Lake Kivu and birders will be impressed with the over 400 resident species. The forest has suffered from massive deforestation caused by ranchers, pastoralists and refugees who had taken shelter following the 1994 genocide. Plans are underway to restore the entire stretch of land with forest just like it was in the past.
Note: Gishwati forest was recently merged with the nearby Mukura to form what is now known as Gishwati-Mukura National Park. The national parks in Rwanda are now four.
Safaris and Hiking Adventures in Rwanda
- The Congo-Nile Trail: The Rwanda Development Board has made great effort in positioning Rwanda as a major tourism destination in Africa. The government has diversified tourism opportunities in Rwanda with the opening of the Congo Nile Trail. Hiking along the Congo Nile Trail is now one of the most interesting things to do while on a safari in Rwanda. The famous trail passages through Lake Kivu and provides hikers with opportunities to marvel at the country.
- Mount Karisimbi: Mount Karisimbi one of the highest in Africa and part of the Virunga ranges of mountains. Hiking Mount Karisimbi is one of the top things to do while in Musanze. Visitors who can endure the 6 hour ascent to the summit will be rewarded with a magnificent view of the volcanoes national park and opportunities to spot birds of different species. Visitors may opt to combine Hiking Mount Karisimbi with tracking mountain gorillas at the Volcanoes national park. Combining a Mount Karisimbi hike and gorilla trekking during a Rwanda safari is a tiring adventure and requires considerable fitness levels if it is to be accomplished within a few days.
- Mount Bisoke: Mount Bisoke is an active volcano located on the border between Rwanda and DR Congo. For those wishing to explore the beautiful countryside while on a Rwanda tour , trekking up Mount Bisoke may just be the thing for you. Trekking mount Bisoke lasts about 6 hours with steep sections here and there, after which one is rewarded with stunning views of the Volcanoes national park. Bisoke hiking also offers visitors a chance to marvel at the Crater Lake and the beautiful green scenery surrounding the mountain.
Rwanda Cultural Tours
- Bugesera Reconciliation Village: Visitors on a cultural tour in Rwanda can pay a visit to the Village, which is located just a few kilometres from Kigali City. This village or rather community was established by the Rwandan government for Rwandan refugees who had lost all their property during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide. After peace was restored back in the country, a lot of civilians lost their property and loved ones as well. The government came up with the idea of creating the reconciliation village in order to give the Rwandan refugees a fresh start, and also to reconcile all people from the different tribes of Rwanda. Now, the people living in the Bugesera reconciliation village can be seen living side by side in harmony with one another. Visitors who visit the reconciliation village are entertained by a group of local dancers, singers and drummers.
- Iby’iwacu Cultural Village: Most safaris to Rwanda are not complete without a visit to the Iby’iwacu cultural village. The cultural village gives visitors an opportunity to learn and enjoy the traditional Rwandan culture. What is unique about the Iby’iwacu cultural village is that a great majority of the men in this village are reformed poachers, who are now taking part in the conservation projects within Volcanoes National Park. Visitors who pay a visit to the Iby’iwacu cultural village are entertained by the traditional Intore dance group through dance performances, folk tales and songs. Visitors also get to take part in traditional cooking classes, preparation of local banana brew, milking cows and making products such as local ghee. Tourists can visit the Iby’iwacu cultural village after trekking mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park
- The King’s Palace in Nyanza: Visitors can not miss paying a visit to the King’s palace in Nyanza, which is about 25 miles from Butare town. Visitors get a tour around the dorm styled palace learning about the cultural history of past Kings of Rwanda, and you will also get to see some royal regalia such as spears, shields, drums and other ornaments that were used by Rwanda’s past kings. You will also get to be crowned as a King or Queen, and have pictures taken as souvenirs to take back home with you.
- The Ethnographic Museum in Butare: Visitors on a Rwanda cultural tour can also visit the ethnographic museum that is located in Butare town, Rwanda. The museum is situated just a kilometer away from Kigali City and is the ideal place for visitors to learn about the people of Rwanda and their cultures. The ethnographic museum in Rwanda was constructed by the Belgian government and was opened in 1989 to the general public. The museum has seven exhibition halls that visitors can tour, and each exhibition hall has something new to display such as; cultural artifacts, regalia, and even an entertainment center.