GORILLA TREKKING RWANDA
Gorilla Trekking Experience in Rwanda
Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda is the most unforgettable experience one can get; Rwanda is the home to over half of the world’s remaining mountain gorilla population, it’s no surprise that the majority of guests visit Rwanda to track and view the highly endangered mountain gorillas.
Peak season for gorilla trekking in Rwanda is usually from June to November, although there are great savings to be had traveling in the slighty wetter low season. This is usually April to May and October to November with the wettest month being April.
Rwanda is a wonderful family destination. And it is superb for primates in general, including the fun-loving Sykes monkey, the Golden monkey and the boisterous chimpanzee in the Nyungwe Forest. However, if the sole purpose of the trip is gorillas, please note that in order to protect gorillas from disease, no children under 15 or people with illnesses may go tracking.
Gorilla Trekking Accommodations
Universal Journeys has made it easy for you to find the perfect lodge in Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda during your gorilla Trek tour or safari. Next are the accommodations we picked for you; from Luxury to budget.
The luxury accommodation is Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge because it is high up on hill, has great views, cozy rooms with fireplaces and amazing service. We also recommend Virunga Lodge which is a beautiful eco-lodge but an hour’s drive from the trek starting point. When you already have to be up and ready at 6am adding an hour drive to that is not insignificant. For a medium budget the best choice is Mountain Gorilla View Lodge. It does not claim to be more than it is but it is very convenient and the rooms are quite spacious. For the more modest budget Le Bamboo Gorilla Lodge was perfectly comfortable.
Accommodations in Volcanoes National Park
Where to Go Trek the Mountain Gorillas and Golden Monkeys?
Volcanoes National park is a home for golden monkeys, a variety of birds, reptiles, amphibians, and insects among other creatures which together make a complete Rwanda safari package. and that’s where the gorilla and golden monkey trek happens.
Volcanoes national park is a stop center for all Rwanda gorilla trekking rwanda safaris sheltering the highest number of mountain gorillas in the Virunga Conservation area. The strategic location is roughly 2 hours drive from Kigali international airport make it the most accessible gorilla national park in the world.
Getting Visa to Rwanda
Visit the Rwanda Directorate general of Immigration and Emigration : https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=28 which takes you to a visa application form which picks your personal information.
Depending on your travel plans, choose the best visa choice available;
– Single entry visa – allows entry in Rwanda alone for 30 days – 50 USD
– Transit Visa for 3 days – only you in the country for only 3 days – 50USD
– East African Tourists Visa – Allows you to cross to all East African countries including Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda – 100 USD
The supporting document to attach is your tour Itinerary if traveling to visit rwanda, Invitation letter, other document with respect to your travel intentions or your flight details in PDF format. You MUST ATTACH documentation at this stage or the visa request will not be processed.
Gorilla Trekking Permit
Price of a Rwanda Gorilla Permit
– $1500 – Non Residents, East African Residents, East African Citizens, Rwandan Residents, Rwandan Citizens
– 30% Discount (US$ 1,050) on gorilla permits if visiting other Rwanda national parks (Akagera national park, Nyungwe national park) for 3 days and more during the low season of November – May
– 15% discount (US$ 1,275) on conference guests who stay pre & post MICE events to see gorillas
– $15,000 for Private gorilla trekking of an entire group with an exclusive personalized tour guide service
– US$ 30,000 for a minimum of 3 visitors for 3 consecutive days (Behind the scenes)
What To Wear!
- Have a small backpack as it is useful to carry your water, packed lunch, camera and binoculars.
- You need light weight hiking boots for this activity/strong waterproof walking boots due to nature and altitude of the forest. So get shoes that have good ankle support (the ones that come above the ankle bone).
- Take a light jumper and lightweight breathable waterproof jacket/trousers as temperature is variable and weather conditions can change
- Lightweight long wool socks which are comfortable for a mountain tropical forest
Contact Us to book![contact-form-7 id=”303″]